Sunday, March 18, 2012

Nigella's sushi and salmon with sweet and sour sauce.....

OMG this is delicious!!!!


It was one of those I feel like something tasty so I will search until something appeals to my taste buds.... Now I have to confess that I am a huge foody and am outnumbered by the men in my life... they love to eat bangers in a roll is exciting to them!!!! while they are fantastic and eat all that I cook, they have simple needs!

So on a saturday, after an afternoon completing the first half of my Auswim, (training required for my job and to teach students to swim) I decided to flick through my new cookbook, 'Kitchen'..... by Nigella, its FANTASTIC!!!!! the food is simple, tasty and looks fabulous!

I stumbled onto this recipe and it ticked all of the 'yum' requirements of the day.....
Hot, Sweet, Sour Salmon & Sushi Rice

2 cups (500 mL) sushi rice
1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
600 g (21-oz) piece skinless salmon
1/4 cup (60 mL) Asian fish sauce
2 tbsp (30 mL) each: sake (Japanese rice wine), mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine), water
2 tbsp (30 mL) minced, peeled ginger
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 small Thai red chilies or 1 large red finger chili, minced with seeds
Juice of 2 limes
Cook rice in rice cooker according to manufacturer’s instructions, or in large saucepan according to package instructions.
Heat oil in large, non-stick skillet over medium high. Add salmon. Cook 5 minutes; flip. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until salmon is opaque and barely cooked to centre, about 2 to 4 minutes depending on thickness and desired doneness. Transfer to cutting board; cut into 6 portions.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together fish sauce, sake, mirin, water, ginger, garlic, chilies and lime juice. (Makes about 3/4 cup/185 mL.)
To serve, divide rice among 6 bowls. Top each with 1 portion salmon. Spoon sauce evenly over portions or as desired. Flake salmon with fork as you eat.
Makes 6 servings.


Sidenote: now I was lazy and pushed for time, I WAS STARVING!!!! so I purchased a precooked piece of smoked salmon fillet it worked great!!!!!

All the boys young and old in my house wanted a taste and LOVED it!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Natalie BlauensteinerMarch 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

    so you've inspired me Onie. After a week of being sick and not wanting to eat anything, I am hungry and tonight we've having the above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie BlauensteinerMarch 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM

    We all say yum!! Alex wanted me to make more of that great sauce. I ended up baking the salmon in the oven with a miso marinade. Sauce minus chilli and coriander but added roasted onion and tomato to make it more kid-friendly. Will be doing this one again. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its great isn't it!!!! I loved it and the sauce was delicious!!!!! thanks for following xxx

    ReplyDelete